Yoga is an art which creates a stronger bond and integration between the body, mind and the soul. To teach this form to others, it is necessary that you follow all the guidelines and then serve others. Some of the basic ethics are generosity, kindness, forgiveness, purity, helpfulness, and patience. Teaching yoga is just like any other profession which works on curriculum and ethics. To be a good yoga teacher, it is important that you follow some of the basic guidelines that will help you complete your job in the most ethical way possible.
Even if you’re travelling abroad and giving yoga training, these practices make you a successful and popular yoga teacher. If you’re going for yoga jobs in Portland or any other part of the world, these basic ethics and practices help you gain confidence.
This post aims to list out the best practices that should be followed by every yoga teacher. To know more about yoga ethics and best practices, take a look at the following points.
1. The importance of yoga- First of all, yoga teachers must understand the value of yoga and also respect this art. They must make it an important part of their daily lives and teach others to do the same. They should appreciate being a yoga teacher and also maintain the professional standards of this field. Yoga teachers should convey the importance of yoga to their students, not just by what the do in class, but also “off the mat”.
2. The basic protocol- Keep healthy, and look after your precious body. Avoid any dependency on any chemical substance, which might be bad or dangerous for your body. This includes, but is not limited to, leading your life in a healthy way away from alcoholic and smoking substances. Show your commitment to your profession and life.
3. Honesty- Yoga teachers believe in being real with their students. They should not indulge in giving any sort of false hope to anyone. Staying true, but kind, will help more your students than giving false hope or compliments. Appreciate their progress, no matter where their starting point is, but do not “over-compliment” as it does serve no purpose. Honesty is the key to win the confidence of people in you.
4. Ask for any medical history of your students- Being a yoga teacher, you should understand that not every asana is appropriate for everyone. You need to check for any previous or existing medical history and give training accordingly. Start every class by asking if any of the participants has any injury or something feels not right in their body today. Ask for it not routinely but actively, welcoming answers and giving few seconds of silence for people to come forward. In any case, you should stay alert during class on your students, as not everyone feels comfortable disclosing injuries in front of others. If you see someone struggling, get closer and quietly try to correct the pose or give more appropriate alternatives to the asana given the student condition.
5. Not enforcing yoga- Yoga must not be enforced. Instead, it should be adapted. Yoga teachers try to abstain from any enforcement of their opinion on their students. A good teacher, values the opinion of his or her students and also helps students to develop it better. Yoga teachers will also increase the communication skills of students through yoga, as it is a form of transformation and integrity.
6. Fairness at all levels- Yoga teachers should not restrict themselves from constructive criticism. They welcome it with open arms and believe that it should be done in all fairness. They even develop a great level of tolerance for various things in life, which makes it easier for them to survive in today’s complex world.
As a travelling yoga teacher, you will encounter students from many different backgrounds and cultures. Be it a getting yoga jobs in Portland or any other city around the world shouldn’t change those ethics, on the contrary, staying true to them will make your students happy and healthy.
Yoga teachers are responsible for teaching the right techniques and giving a spiritual experience to people. While exploring the world and healing people is a great idea, if you want to be an ethical yoga teacher, embrace these best practices mentioned above to be the light in your way that will lead to your true destination.